History

The Cunningham Center opened in 1972, part of the renovation that first united the Smith College Art and Art History Departments and the Smith College Museum of Art. The "print room," as it was then called, was named for Eleanor Lamont Cunningham (Smith class of 1932), through a gift from her husband, the noted museum director Charles Cunningham, and their daughter Priscilla (Smith class of 1958). The 2003 renovation of the Brown Fine Arts Center expanded the existing facility, adding state-of-the-art storage and study spaces as well as more room for both artwork and visitors.