Free Community Day
- Saturday, April 8, 2017
- Museum of Art, 11:30 AM–3:30 PM
Immerse yourself in the world of Ancient Rome! All ages welcome.
Join us for a free Community Day inspired by the exhibition Leisure and Luxury in the Age of Nero: The Villas of Oplontis near Pompeii.
Download the full day's schedule: Community Day Schedule
- 11:30am Storytime with Forbes Library, Winslow Teaching Gallery, Lower Level
- 12pm, 2pm Campus Adventure: Docent-led tour of Plants of Pompeii: Ancient and Modern Medicinal Plants, Botanic Garden of Smith College. Space limited. Sign up at the Welcome Table.
- 1pm, 3pm Campus Adventure: Try your hand at making your own fresco painting with David Dempsey, Associate Director for Museum Services, in the Materials Lab of Sabin-Reed Hall. Space limited. Sign up at the Welcome Table.
- 12:30pm Snapshots of Daily Life in the Age of Nero, Graham Hall, enter from Atrium—Don’t miss the culminating performance of a semester-long collaboration between the Museum, Enchanted Circle Theater and the Springfield Conservatory of the Arts middle school. Seventh grade students bring the world of Ancient Rome to life with short scenes researched and written during a school residency with ECT teaching artist Melissa Redwin.
- 12:30-3:30pm A Roman Garden through the Senses, Atrium—Stroll through our sensory recreation of a Roman Garden! Taste olive oil provided by Ellie’s Oils. Smell aromas of a Roman villa at the Scent-station. Explore volcanic rocks and processes with Smith College geoscientists. Discover what it takes to excavate a site like Oplontis with Smith students studying archaeology.
Welcome Table, First Floor, outside Sacerdote Gallery—Stop by to pick up a schedule of activities as well as a scavenger hunt and sign up for the fresco painting workshops and Botanic Garden tours.
Jewelry making, L18 Studio Classroom, Lower Level—Draw your inspiration from Roman mythology and string together a beaded adornment that captures the essence of a Roman god or goddess.
Holyoke Hummus Truck—Looking for more than light fare? Visit The Great Garbanzo food truck parked outside the Museum doors for flavorful falafel, hummus, and more! (Bring cash).
Book Nook + Take a Break Space, Lower Level lobby—Drop in and take a break with our collection of Ancient Rome-themed picture books.
Survey Station, Second Floor landing—Let us know what you think about Family Day and help us plan for future family-friendly programs. Share your thoughts and enter the raffle for a free dual level membership.