CSO house representatives encourage students to get involved in community service work. Each elected representative acts as a liaison, informing house members of CSO activities and recruiting students to volunteer.
House reps also attend bi-monthly meetings; help get the word out about long-term placements, short-term projects and monthly Community Education Luncheons; assist with annual blood drives in conjunction with the CSO blood drive chair and the American Red Cross's October and February drives; and help involve Smith College houses in CSO activities.
The house reps' duties are essential to the continued success of CSO. The position is extremely rewarding, not only because house reps become involved with work in the community but also because they encourage other Smith students to participate in that work. The house reps' efforts and dedication directly contribute to the success of many community agencies and to CSO.
Become a House Representative
To learn more about becoming a house rep, talk to your house president or the CSO house rep chair. House reps are elected at the first house meeting of the academic year.
The influence of CSO on the Smith College campus depends heavily upon the enthusiasm and commitment of the house rep. Each house rep has a responsibility to be an active and informed source for explaining and exemplifying the philosophy and goals of the organization as well as for promoting the events sponsored by CSO.
- Attend a mandatory training session
- Attend the 30-minute, bi-monthly meetings at the CCC in Wright Hall on alternating Thursdays at 5:15 p.m.
- Keep your house mates informed of CSO events by making announcements at meal times, updating bulletin boards, distributing publicity for special events and through personal conversations with house members
- Participate in the CSO volunteer recruitment fair where students can talk to agency representatives about volunteer opportunities
- Act as an in-house volunteer recruiter for community service
- Plan in-house activities, such as outings, which involve volunteer work
- Mobilize house mates for the annual CSO fund drive and solicit funds for that drive