Please consult with the Events Management Office
- When considering potential dates for an event
- When planning a large internal event, conference, reception, and so on
- When sponsoring an event with an external organization
- When the event involves hiring external entertainment or an outside caterer
- When alcoholic beverages will be provided, served or sold
- For online calendar and space scheduling (R25) questions or guidance
- To determine what services are needed for an event and for questions or guidance in filling out the Event Service Request (ESR) form
- When contacted by an external organization about planning an event
Planning and Consultation
- Conduct an initial review of the event and offer a recommendation for proposed dates.
- Provide consultation, planning tools and logistical coordination. The EMO can provide event and budget planning checklists, floor plans, policies and procedures, and a planning timeline and assistance throughout the process, to ensure a successful event.
- Oversee and coordinate larger, high-profile or more prominent events or those involving an external organization. In some cases, a designated member of the EMO will work directly with the client.
- Manage and coordinate the services needed with the campus departments responsible for providing those services, according to the information provided on the Event Service Request form.
The EMO uses and manages the online space reservation and calendar system. Online requests for use of college space are reviewed by the EMO and forwarded to the appropriate space scheduler for processing, then posted to the online calendar.
For events managed by the EMO, a member of the EMO staff will be the primary contact and will take full responsibility for the event and the planning involved. These events include Opening Convocation, Rally Day, presidential events, ground-breaking ceremonies and dedications.
The EMO coordinates all residential and nonresidential summer programs held on the Smith campus from the last Monday in May to the third Sunday in August. This office coordinates contracts, insurance requirements and cost projections.