About Human Resources
Employee Recognition
Employee Resources
Employment Opportunities
Learning & Development
Managers' Toolkit
Smith College Code of Conduct
Staff Handbook
What's New in HR
Employee Resources

Related Link

Changing Your Name

If you are an employee (faculty or staff), federal regulations require employers to validate that the employee's name on record exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's Social Security card to ensure proper tax reporting.

In order to reflect your name change on your personnel file, payroll records, ITS user accounts and your Smith e-mail account, you must present in person your new Social Security card (which reflects your new name) to the Office of Human Resources. In addition, you will also need to provide a second legal document showing your new name so that your I-9 status can be reverified.

A name change request form is available on our Forms page.

Prior to coming to human resources, please update the necessary payroll forms (W4, M4, direct deposit), as it will expedite the process.

If you have questions, please contact us.

Please Note

If you have not yet requested a change of name with the Social Security Administration, please apply for a new social security card with the nearest Social Security Administration Office.