Applicant Management System (People Admin)
Smith College uses PeopleAdmin, a web-based job posting and recruiting software program that streamlines the entire recruitment and candidate management process.
PeopleAdmin allows for an automated approval process of the position authorization, collection of employment applications online, electronic screening of candidates, distribution of applications electronically to hiring managers and search committees, and communication with candidates via e-mail.
The use of PeopleAdmin results in shorter timeframes for filling jobs and provides more cost-efficient recruitment that draws a more diverse pool of candidates. Hiring managers and those related to the posting will be provided with hands-on training when they have a position to post.
Note: You must either user Internet Explorer 7.0 or Firefox 3.6. If you need assistance with your Web browser, please contact the User Support Center, at (413) 585-4487.
Prior to starting the online posting process
- You must contact Serena Harris. Serena will work with you to: finalize your new, modified, or reviewed job description; go through a prerecruitment plan; and discuss your posting options.
- You must contact David DeSwert in the budget office to discuss funding for the position.
- Hiring managers should have notified their department head and senior staff officer prior to starting the online posting process. This will allow for faster turnaround of the online approval process.
- To start the online posting process, the department completes the Posting Details, Recruitment Plan, and Posting Specific Questions information and submits it electronically for approval.
- Once the online posting has gone through its approvals, it is sent to human resources for final review and posted to the website and other advertising sources as requested.
- Once the position is posted, applicants may begin to apply online.
- Candidate information is easily accessible online and can be shared with search committee members.
- The system also facilitates communication with applicants to send position status notifications or final acknowledgement letters.
- The following position types must be authorized through PeopleAdmin: regular staff, grant-funded, limited-term, casual temporary and agency temps.
- Academic departments have the option of using PeopleAdmin for faculty searches. Please contact the Office of the Provost for further information.
- Agency temp positions* will be approved through this system but will not be posted for hiring.
- Union bid positions will not use PeopleAdmin.
*Agency temp employees are not paid by Smith. For those departments requesting that the budget office provide funding for an agency temp, the authorization must be completed through PeopleAdmin. If a department has pooled funding, they can contact an approved agency directly for a hire. Human resources continues to recommend that agency temps be used whenever possible.
All casual employees will be hired using PeopleAdmin. Hiring managers must complete a position authorization in PeopleAdmin, specifically the Budget and Casual/Temporary section, and have it approved. Each casual employee will be hired using a new CW#### number rather than the XT9000 position number, and CW Index numbers will no longer be used.
Once the position has been approved and the individual has completed his or her application, that person can be hired and set up on Web Time Entry. Until the hiring process is completed, the new employee should not work and will not get paid.
Summer Returning Smith Students
All summer positions for returning Smith students will be advertised and hired through JobX.
To review the hiring procedures for JobX, go to www.smith.edu/finaid/fao/summerjobx.php.
Please note that employing a returning Smith student during the summer is a separate process from that of hiring a student during the academic year. Thus, all student employees must be hired into new summer positions, even those who are continuing work from the academic year. The two hiring terms will be defined by the position number being used. Academic-year students will be hired into SP#### numbers and all summer returning Smith students will be hired into new SU#### numbers; the CW Index number will no longer be used.
Please contact the budget office at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following three items to get your SU#### position number assigned.
- Short job title
- Approver's name (Banner allows for one approver)
- Funding source: fund/grant number or organization number
Casual Temporary: Paid by Smith. Individuals who work part time more than three months ongoing (less than 17.5 hours per week) or full time, up to five months.
Intermittent Casuals: Paid by Smith. Individuals who work less than 64 hours per month, generally pooled funds.
Summer/Seasonal Casual: Paid by Smith. Individuals who work more than 64 hours per month, up to three months.
Departments should continue to send newly hired or rehired casuals (those individuals who have never worked at Smith or have not been paid by Smith within the last 12 months) to human resources within the first three days of their first work date, to complete their employment paperwork and Form I-9.