Students who wish to take summer courses abroad or domestically should follow the procedures for summer school credit available in the Class Deans Office.
Study Abroad Adviser: Justin Cammy
Universities in Israel offer intensive summer programs for all levels of Hebrew language study, and courses in Jewish studies and Middle Eastern studies.
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Hebrew University offers courses in classical and modern Hebrew, Arabic, Jewish Studies, Biblical Studies, Archeology, and Middle East Studies in June, July, August 2012) Applications due May 15, 2014.
- Tel Aviv University (TAU offers summer courses in Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish and Middle East Studies in June, July, and August, 2014) Applications due April 25, 2014;
- Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Hebrew: no Summer 2013 dates available yet) Applicatin deadline for year, fall, or summer programs: June 1, 2013.
- Haifa University – Intensive Hebrew (Intensive Hebrew: July 2013, session I; August 2013, session II; Intensive Arabic: two sessions, one each in July and August 2013) Applications are due May 1, 2013 for July language programs, and June 1, 2013 for August language programs.
- The Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (July 2013) Applications due by February 1, 2013.
N.B.: Special waivers are required of students electing to study in Israel. Please contact the study abroad adviser and/or the Office for International Study for more information.
- Civitas Summer Professional Internship Program, Warsaw, Poland (May 13, June 3 or 17, through August 2, 2013, in English) Applications are now open.
- Leo Baeck Summer University, Berlin (LBSU) in Jewish Studies (July 3-August 17, 2014) Applications due by March 1, 2014.
Hebrew Language Study in the U.S.
The following institutions offer excellent intensive summer Hebrew language instruction.
There is very little financial aid available for students studying at domestic (U.S.) programs. Students planning to attend a program at an American institution should apply for financial aid at that institution and for assistance through the Class Deans Office.
- The Jewish Theological Seminary:Intensive Hebrew Language Session (Beginning May 28, 2013) Applications open in March.
- Middlebury College's Brandeis Connection: Hebrew Summer Language School (Middlebury, VT: June 28 - August 16, 2013) Applications are on a rolling basis.
Yiddish Language Study
Students interested in Yiddish language, literature, and culture are encouraged to attend one of the following programs.
- Indiana University, Slavic, Eastern European and Central Asian Languages Classes (First Year Yiddish: June 3 - July 26, 2013) Priority deadline for application cosideration is March 1, 2013.
- Uriel Weinreich Program in Yiddish Language, Literature, and Culture (June 17-July 26, 2013) A joint program between Bard College and the Yivo Institute for Jewish Research. It is based at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. Priority admission application deadline is March 15, 2013, regular admission deadline is April 15.
- Vilnius Yiddish Insitute (Vilnus University, Lithuania: July 21-August 16, 2013) Applications are now being accepted.
- Yiddish Summer Program: Tel Aviv University
(Tel Aviv: June 22-July 17, 2014 ) Applications due April 25, 2014.
- Helix Project/YiddishkaytLA -- Jewish Cultures of Eastern Europe
Application deadline: Late February 2013
Steiner Summer Yiddish Program National Yiddish Book Center, Amherst MA (June 8-July 25 2014)
Application Deadline: February 10, 2014
Yiddish Book Center Fellowship Program (for college graduates)www.yiddishbookcenter.org/fellowship-program
A year-long professional experience in Yiddish language & Jewish cultural work.Program dates: September 2014-August 2015
Application deadline: January 6, 2014