Students who wish to take summer courses abroad or domestically should follow the procedures for summer school credit available in the Class Deans Office.
Funding for summer study is limited. Students are encouraged to apply to the following units, and others, for partial support:
1. International Experience Grants (due Friday March 15, 2013) http://www.smith.edu/studyabroad/grants_ieg.php
2. Leila Wilson Fund, Program in Middle East Studies (due Monday, March 11, 2013, for summer study of a Middle Eastern language only) http://www.smith.edu/mes/summer.php
3. Class Deans Office, Intensive Summer Language Study Grants (due date TBA), http://www.smith.edu/classdeans/
Study Abroad Adviser: Justin Cammy
Universities in Israel offer intensive summer programs for all levels of Hebrew language study, and courses in Jewish studies and Middle Eastern studies.
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Hebrew University offers courses in classical and modern Hebrew, Arabic, Jewish Studies, Biblical Studies, Archeology, and Middle East Studies in June, July, August 2012) Applications due May 15, 2013.
- Tel Aviv University (TAU offers summer courses in Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish and Middle East Studies in June, July, and August, 2012) Applications due April 15, 2013; April 30, 2013 for the ULPAN program.
- Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Hebrew: no Summer 2013 dates available yet) Applicatin deadline for year, fall, or summer programs: June 1, 2013.
- Haifa University – Intensive Hebrew (Intensive Hebrew: July 2013, session I; August 2013, session II; Intensive Arabic: two sessions, one each in July and August 2013) Applications are due May 1, 2013 for July language programs, and June 1, 2013 for August language programs.
- The Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (July 2013) Applications due by February 1, 2013.
N.B.: Special waivers are required of students electing to study in Israel. Please contact the study abroad adviser and/or the Office for International Study for more information.
- Civitas Summer Professional Internship Program, Warsaw, Poland (May 13, June 3 or 17, through August 2, 2013, in English) Applications are now open.
- Leo Baeck Summer University, Berlin (LBSU) in Jewish Studies (July 4-August 16, 2013) Applications due by February 15, 2013.
Hebrew Language Study in the U.S.
The following institutions offer excellent intensive summer Hebrew language instruction.
There is very little financial aid available for students studying at domestic (U.S.) programs. Students planning to attend a program at an American institution should apply for financial aid at that institution and for assistance through the Class Deans Office.
- The Jewish Theological Seminary:Intensive Hebrew Language Session (Beginning May 28, 2013) Applications open in March.
- Middlebury College's Brandeis Connection: Hebrew Summer Language School (Middlebury, VT: June 28 - August 16, 2013) Applications are on a rolling basis.
Yiddish Language Study
Students interested in Yiddish language, literature, and culture are encouraged to attend one of the following programs.
- Indiana University, Slavic, Eastern European and Central Asian Languages Classes (First Year Yiddish: June 3 - July 26, 2013) Priority deadline for application cosideration is March 1, 2013.
- Uriel Weinreich Program in Yiddish Language, Literature, and Culture (June 17-July 26, 2013) A joint program between Bard College and the Yivo Institute for Jewish Research. It is based at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. Priority admission application deadline is March 15, 2013, regular admission deadline is April 15.
- Vilnius Yiddish Insitute (Vilnus University, Lithuania: July 21-August 16, 2013) Applications are now being accepted.
- Yiddish Summer Program: Tel Aviv University and Beit Sholem Aleichem (Tel Aviv: June 16-July 11, 2013 ) Applications due April 15, 2013.
- Helix Project/YiddishkaytLA -- Jewish Cultures of Eastern Europe
Application deadline: Late February 2013