Friends of the Libraries Reading Room
The Friends of the Libraries Reading Room in Neilson Library provides a quiet drop-in space in which to read and relax. Popular magazines and newspapers are available at the back of the room.
Opening and Dedication
The Friends of the Libraries Reading Room opened its doors on November 29, 2010. "This is a memorable day for all who love books," declared Susan Bourque, Esther B. Wiley Professor of Government and former provost, as she scissored the ribbon "especially for those who love libraries and who see libraries as more than repositories for our priceless human inheritance of books, but also as central to the joy and possibilities of continuous learning."
At the dedication ceremony, President Christ mentioned some of the world's famous reading rooms, describing them as “that most public of places, where one engages in the very private act of reading.” The room was named for the Friends of the Libraries in recognition of the generosity of its members who raised a majority of the funds. One of the largest gifts received came from an anonymous donor in memory of Elizabeth Jordan '29. Among alumnae donors, the Class of 1949 is particularly noteworthy thanks to the fundraising efforts of Lucy Wilson Benson '49.
The Friends of the Libraries Reading Room was designed by architect Peter Lapointe of Archimetrics Design Studio with interior design by Lisa Lukas of Lukas Design.
Paintings by Thomas Locker
Presented in 2011, the large landscape, called "Repose," was made possible with gifts from Jill Ker Conway and the family and classmates of Frana Larrabee Low '50. The two smaller paintings, "A River Valley" and "Evening Glow" are gifts from the artist Thomas Locker.
A River Valley