Events and films about the SSC
- Loretta Ross: Basic Skills of Organizing for Social Justice Workshops (on-campus access only)
- Three workshops given by the Activist-in-Residence, February 2013 (video)
- An Activist Archives: The Sophia Smith Collection at 70
- Celebration in honor of Sherrill Redmon featuring Alison Bechdel, Marianne Bullock, Katsi Cook, Anna Holley, Loretta Ross, and Gloria Steinem, February 2013 (video)
- The Power of Women's Voices Conference
- Celebrating 65 Years of Collecting Women's History at Smith College, featuring Margie Adam, Loretta Ross, Gloria Steinem, and many others, 2007 (video)
- Gloria Steinem: "The Future of Feminism"
- Featured speaker at The Power of Women's Voices, 65th Anniversary Conference of the Sophia Smith Collection, 2007 (video)
- Creating Women's History: The Sophia Smith Collection at Smith College
- 20 minute video about the SSC, 2001
- Meet the Archives Interns
- See what some of our interns and student assistants were up to in the Sophia Smith Collection and College Archives during the Summer of 2011
From the Collections
Note: The following is a very small representation of the audiovisual materials housed in the SSC. We will continue to add more to this site, but we also encourage you to visit the SSC to browse our audiovisual collections, or contact us for more information about our holdings.
- Joan E. Biren: "Look To the Women for Courage: Stories From the Seneca Encampment for Peace and Justice," 1984
- Slideshow with narration
- Joan E. Biren: interviews for her book, Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians (1979)
- (audio, on-campus access only)
- Films of Phyllis Birkby
- Selection of films documenting the women's and gay rights movements in New York, circa 1970s; as well as lesbian culture through home movies.
- Camp Bonnie Brae films
- Short film clips portraying camp activities at Camp Bonnie Brae, the oldest continuously operating Girl Scout camp in the United States.
- Pauline Frederick, Journalist; War correspondent (on-campus access only)
- Radio and television broadcasts, speeches, and miscellaneous events (audio and video)
- Nancy Hamilton: footage for Hellen Keller in Her Story
- Original video and audio from the Oscar-winning film Helen Keller in Her Story (1955), a doctumentary produced by Smith alumna Nancy Hamilton (Smith Class of 1930).
- National Congress of Neighborhood Women
- Videotaped footage from the 1970s documenting the early activities of this grassroots support network for women working to improve their communities in low-income areas.
- Reproductive Justice for all Conference (on-campus access only)
- Video footage from the conference held in 2005 at Smith College to examine and discuss issues pertaining to women's rights in the realm of sexuality, reproductive health, assisted reproduction and genetic technologies.
- Voices of Feminism oral histories (video, on-campus access only)
- Note: Full transcripts and selected video excerpts are open to the public on the VOF site
Note: Due to copyright or privacy concerns, some of these links are available only from computers on Smith campus. Non-Smith users are welcome to use the public computers in the SSC or Smith College Libraries to access the restricted content. This content cannot be copied or downloaded. If you require digital files, please contact the SSC. See Duplication Services for more information.
Adobe Flash player is required to play the videos, available for free download. Videos may take several minutes to load depending on your internet connection.