- Digital images (JPEG or TIFF):
- Scan from original: $20 per image
- If digital image exists: $15 per image
- Higher than standard dpi: $25 per image 1
1 Our standard scanning resolution is approximately 4,000 pixels on the long side at 100% (600 dpi for 5x7 original)
- Audiovisual media and electronic (computer) files:
- Format change, other than CDs or DVDs: $25 per item 2
- Copy from CD or DVD: $20 per disc
- Digital file exists: $15
2The fees above apply only to the following media formats which can be copied on campus: audio cassette tapes; VHS or Super VHS video tapes; miniDV tapes; DVDs; CDs. All other formats need to be sent off-site for reformatting and extra charges will apply.
All materials when digitized are copied to digital files.
- Delivery methods:
- Web file sharing service (preferred, no charge)
- CD or DVD: $5 per disk
**** ALLOW 2-3 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY ****
- Additional fees:
- Research fee: $20 per hour after the first hour
- Rush order: $25 additional fee
- Additional mailing fees: Federal Express: $10.00 per order (unless you supply FedEx number); USPS: $5 per order
To order reproductions please contact us. For your convenience you may download and print our Photograph order form or Media Duplication order form.
Due on all items which are to be published (including print, film, broadcast, video, DVD, CD, and Websites). The fee must be accompanied by a completed Permission to Publish Contract which will be prepared and sent after you place your order.
- Non-Profit organizations (with tax-exempt number)
- $20 per image/clip 3, per use
- multiple formats: $40 per image/clip
- For profit organizations
- $100 per image/clip, per use
- multiple formats: $200 per image/clip
3 Publication fees for audiovisuals are based on the number of separate clips or segments, regardless of length.
Permissions and Publication Information
The Sophia Smith Collection will grant permission to publish images and audiovisual materials from the Collection when publishers assume all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of the U.S. Copyright Code. Publishers must obtain written permission from a) the copyright owner, his or her heirs or assigns and b) from the Sophia Smith Collection, owner of the original materials, before publishing or otherwise reproducing copyrighted materials.
Publishers must complete a Sophia Smith Collection Permission to Publish Contract and pay a publication fee (see above).
Permission is granted under the following conditions:
l. Permission is granted for one-time use only (unless specific exceptions are granted) and for the purpose listed in the "Permission to Publish Contract." Any subsequent use (including subsequent editions, paperback editions, foreign language editions,
etc.), constitutes reuse and must be applied for separately in writing. An additional fee will be charged for each subsequent edition. The "Multiple format fee" applies only to different formats of the same "edition" of a work (e.g. a CD-ROM version of a book or a
video of a television documentary).
2. Credit line should read "Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College." The photographer's name must also be included in the credit line if it is known or can be determined. This credit line must be included with each image.
3. A copy of all works in which the moving/still image or recording appears must be sent to the Sophia Smith Collection at the time of publication; but if the work contains no more than two of the Sophia Smith Collection's images or recordings at the time of publication, proofs or tearsheets of the title page and page(s) containing the picture(s) and acknowledgements will be sufficient. With videos, CD-ROM, films, filmstrips and slide shows, the publisher should send still photographs or copies of the title frame and the frame(s) showing credits, or promotional materials.
4. Any and all alterations of the original image other than reduction and enlargement should be noted in the accompanying caption or label.
5. Reproductions must be purchased directly from the Sophia Smith Collection and may not be obtained or reproduced in any fashion from outside published or unpublished sources (including the Sophia Smith Collection Web site).
6. Publisher agrees not to permit others to reproduce the image or recording or any facsimile of it; not to reproduce the image on a dust jacket, end paper, advertisement, or any commercial use of a similar nature without permission and without paying
an additional publication fee; and not to mass-reproduce as unbound material unless specifically authorized by a letter of permission.
7. In authorizing the publication of an image or recording, the Sophia Smith Collection does not surrender its own right to publish it, or to grant permission to others to do so.
8. If permission is granted for the publishing party itself to photograph any visual material in the Sophia Smith Collection, all resulting negatives must be given to the Sophia Smith Collection.
9. The Sophia Smith Collection reserves the right to limit the number of images; to restrict the use or reproduction of rare or valuable material; to make special quotations on material involving unusual difficulty in copying; and to charge a higher copying fee than specified. Copies are not supplied to picture agencies except by special arrangement.
10. Any exceptions or additions to the above conditions will appear on, and be considered part of, the contract.
[from the SSC's Permission to Publish Contract]
For more information on obtaining permission to publish reproductions, see our Frequently Asked Questions section.