Complementing the academic mission of the college, the Office of Student Engagement is committed to integrating student learning in all its forms, facilitating student development and embracing opportunities for meaningful engagement. Through its activities, facilities and services, the OSE promotes opportunities for personal growth, leadership development, co-curricular involvement, intellectual inquiry, social and environmental responsibility, and the valuing of human differences.
Promoting these core values is integral to our success in helping students take advantage of all Smith has to offer.
A Diverse and Just Society
The Office of Student Engagement embraces diversity in all its forms including the multiple identities of ethnicity, race, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, age, religion and socio-economic status as well as every aspect of life that defines our humanity. Our commitment to a diverse and just society involves valuing, respecting and including all people and developing an environment where this is possible.
Quality Service and Support
The Office of Student Engagement demonstrates a consistent commitment to quality by exceeding community expectations in our programs, facilities, staff and services. Customer service is the cornerstone of this experience. The office helps the community successfully reach their goals and initiatives.
Learning and Responsibility
As educators, the Office of Student Engagement staff is committed to providing learning opportunities and experiences that encourage student responsibility, accountability, personal growth and development.
Community Connections and Engagement
The Office of Student Engagement staff is committed to finding and creating opportunities for every student to interact with their community according to their interests, activities and curiosities--be they intellectual, athletic or just plain fun.
Students involved with the Office of Student Engagement, through jobs, activities, programming and volunteer opportunities, will:
- experience growth, interaction and learning as part of a diverse community;
- serve as active and committed members of an effective and efficient team;
- build confidence and hone skills in decision making, conflict resolution and interpersonal communication;
- practice balancing academic, personal and work responsibilities in a fun and supportive environment;
- develop a respect for and understanding of the values of commitment, ethics and integrity and a grasp of how individual efforts contribute to creating a healthy and vibrant community.