Student employment is more than a paycheck when you work for the Office of Student Engagement. It's about your personal and professional growth, increasing your marketable skills and preparing for work outside of Smith College. It's a leadership experience you choose to fit your needs.
The OSE is NOW HIRING Campus Center Service Associates and Smith To Do Program Associates for the Spring 2015 semester. Apply Now!
Campus Center Positions
Campus Center Managers
The Campus Center Manager is responsible for the general supervision of the Campus Center and its student employee staff in the absence of the professional staff of the Campus Center. The manager supervises the conduct of all activities within the Campus Center, ensuring the general safety and well-being of all those using the building, as well as enforces all Campus Center, Smith College and state policies, procedures and laws.
- The management and security of the Campus Center during assigned shift in accordance with established Campus Center policies and procedures.
- Open and/or close the Campus Center in accordance with established procedures.
- Provide coordination of program support for events that take place within the Campus Center, including setup needs, technical equipment and other arrangements.
- Supervise conduct of all activities in the Campus Center, including making hourly rounds of the Campus Center to secure areas not in use and to check the condition of the facilities.
- Supervise other student employees on duty.
- Coordinate the response to operational and personal emergencies.
- Conduct regular checks of the facility including meeting rooms and back-of-house areas ensuring that rooms are clean, neat and in order. Report needed repairs and maintenance concerns to the administrative staff via the CCM duty log. Complete entries in the duty log throughout the shift, describing the activity in the building. This is not limited to hourly rounds, but anytime the building manager deems appropriate.
- Assist professional staff with various projects as requested.
Campus Center Service Associates
- Complete all event and program setups and breakdowns, as well as technical requirements.
- Staff the Information Desk, answer phones and greet guests.
- Have required knowledge of campus events and familiarity with setup sheet procedures and usage.
- Work some evening and weekend shifts, have a permanent schedule in place for the semester, and work at least two weekend rotation shifts and at special events as needed.
- Assist in removing and hanging reserved banners on the weekends.
- Be required to attend a monthly Campus Center staff development meeting.
In addition to set schedule semester hours in facility setup and event services, CCSAs will have an opportunity to staff special events in the Campus Center and Davis, supporting, enforcing and abiding by all Campus Center policies and procedures.
OSE Office Positions
Treasurer Support Services
- complete and verify student organization transactions including check requests, reimbursements, transfer of funds and deposits
- have the ability to accurately count and record cash deposits and prepare Fleet Bank deposits at closing
- work with e-print reports and Banner
- have the willingness to work with treasurers over the phone and in person
- be detailed oriented, accurate and responsible
- must have experience with US currency
- responsible for handling cashboxes
- act as receptionist in Campus Center 106
- handle a variety of projects for the Office of Student Engagement
- other office duties as assigned
- attend OSE staff meetings and events
OSE Programming Positions
Smith To Do Program Associates
The Smith To Do programming associates are responsible for coordinating Smith's late night and weekend programming series and providing the Smith community with a calendar of fun crafting events that appeal to a broad cross-section of the population.
- Coordinate Smith's late night programming series Smith To Do, including budgeting, promotion and scheduling.
- Develop annual program schedule within a provided budget based on identified campus and student priorities.
- Manage all program arrangements, including program needs and compliance with Smith and Campus Center policies.
- Coordinate weekly publicity and promotion for all events including but not limited to, Rise Vision TV ads, e-Digest, Facebook, banners and posters.
- Collect and coordinate promotional materials as they relate to Smith To Do.
- Provide on-site supervision of events, coordinating facility use.
Nolen Art Lounge Coordinator
The Nolen Art Lounge programming associate is responsible for coordinating exhibits, programs and events in the Nolen Art Lounge of the Campus Center. The program assistant is charged with ensuring that the art lounge hosts a broad range of exhibitions which support campus-wide learning, understanding of other cultures and an appreciation of the arts.
- Manage execution of exhibitions including prints, sculpture and multimedia.
- Coordinate an annual exhibition and event schedule for the Nolen Art Lounge.
- Plan and coordinate openings and events for each exhibition.
- Act as an installation coordinator for the setup and hanging of exhibitions, handling art with care and professionalism.
- Manage filing system to aid artists in picking up and dropping off their exhibition artwork, including the completion of proper paperwork.
- Provide publicity and public relations for all art lounge exhibitions and programs.
- Manage the daily operations of the art lounge.
- Monitor and track supplies and budget.
OSE Marketing Positions
Social Media Marketing Coordinator
The social media marketing intern is responsible for all online social media marketing efforts for the OSE. These include Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Foursquare and the Campus Center Web site. The intern will help promote events, services and programs by creating and sustaining an online presence for the OSE and its programs and resources.
- Develop online promotional materials for major events such as Student Activities Fair, Welcome Week, Winter Weekend, Spring Weekend and other large campus events.
- Create ongoing promotional materials using social networking sites such as Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Foursquare and the Campus Center Web site.
- Maintain the OSE facebook, tumblr, and twitter accounts.
- Develop online monthly program schedules for the Student Events Committee, Nolen Art Lounge and Smith To Do program.
- Experience with Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Adobe publishing software preferred.
- Strong knowledge of online social media management required.
- Strong graphic design skills are required.
- Attention to detail, follow-through and strong time management skills are required.
Resource Center for Sexuality and Gender
RCSG Program Coordinator
The RCSG Program Coordinator is responsible for the general supervision of the Resource Center for Sexuality & Gender located in Wesley Basement. The Program Coordinator oversees the activities scheduled within the Center, covering weekly open hours in the Center, providing resources to the community as needed and works both to plan and manage programs sponsored by the RCSG, covering events in the evenings and on weekends and helps to forge programmatic collaborations across campus. The Program Coordinator will work with the student organizations who call this space home, the Director of the OSE, the Assistant Director of the OSE for Student Programs and the Resource Center Advisory Board to make this space available to the larger Smith community. The ability to work evenings is essential.
Students applying for these positions should be dependable, creative, able to work independently and understand the mission and vision of the Resource Center. Students should feel comfortable being a resource for those stopping in and be familiar with the resources available in the greater Northampton community. The ability to work a combination of day and evening hours is required.