Contact Us
Catalogs & Schedules
Catalogs & Schedules
Examinations & Papers
Frequently Asked Questions
Request a Transcript or Enrollment Verification
Privacy of Records & Voter Registration
voter of Records & Voter Registration
For Entering Students
For Students Studying Away
For Seniors
For Faculty & Staff
Frequently Asked Questions

Class Registration

Does my REG code change each registration period?

Yes. Students must review their schedules with their advisers and obtain their new REG code from their adviser each registration and add/drop period.

I am locked out of BannerWeb or don't know/forgot my BannerWeb PIN (personal identification number). What should I do?

You should access BannerWeb via the Smith Portal using your network user name and password. If you are locked out of BannerWeb you should contact ITS at x4487 to have your BannerWeb PIN reset.

My adviser is on sabbatical. How can I get my REG code?

If your adviser is on sabbatical, you can obtain your REG code from the department chair (if you have declared your major) or from your class dean (if you have not declared your major).

I'm a sophomore, can I register for a Special Studies course or seminar?

You can register for a Special Studies, but not a seminar. Seminars are open to juniors and seniors only, Special Studies to sophomores, juniors and seniors. Qualified students who do not meet these class restrictions may petition the administrative board for an exception. See your class dean to discuss your options.

How many credits of S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) courses can I take in one semester?

There is no limit on how many S/U credits may be taken in one semester. However, traditional students may only take up to 16 credits of optional S/U grades in total. (Transfer students and Ada Comstock Scholars may take 4 out of every 32 credits S/U.)

Can I change my grading option for the second semester of a year–long course?

Yes, students may declare a separate grading option for the second semester of a year–long course coded with a "Y." The deadline for doing so is the same deadline for declaring the grading option in all spring semester courses. Year–long courses coded with a "D," however, may not be changed after the fall deadline for change of grading option.

How do I register for a course that requires the instructor's permission?

During preregistration in April and November, you can register for the course on BannerWeb. You should follow up with the instructor to notify him or her of your interest in taking the course. Your registration will be pending until the instructor tells the registrar's office who has been admitted to the course. During the first two weeks of the semester in January and September, you must register at the registrar's office by submitting a Waiver of Restrictions form with the instructor's signature.

I'm trying to register for a course, and I can't put my name on the waitlist. Why?

Waitlist registration is only available during the early registration periods. If you are trying to add your name to the waitlist during the early registration period, you should be aware that spaces in some courses are reserved for entering students. There are no waitlists for such courses. If you want to add your name to the waitlist once classes begin, you must go to the first class or contact the instructor.

Can you tell me where I am on the waitlist?

No. Waitlists are for the information of the instructor. The instructor determines how he or she will accept students from the waitlist for admittance to the course. The instructor will determine what criteria are appropriate for selecting students for the course. You should plan to attend the first class meeting.

Can the registrar's office tell me if a course is open?

Yes and no. During the early registration periods in April and November, students can view enrollments through the class search option in BannerWeb. Once the semester begins, students must go to the class to determine if there are openings in the course.

I'm trying to register for two courses that have overlap in time. My instructor says it is ok, but I can't register on BannerWeb. What should I do?

Normally, students are not permitted to register for courses that conflict in time. Any exceptions must be approved by the Administrative Board. Students should discuss their options for a petition with the class dean, but should have a backup plan should their request be denied.

What is a waiver of restrictions form? When do I need one?

When you can't register for a course on BannerWeb because the course requires the instructor's permission or is restricted to a particular class or major, then you must register at the registrar's office. You need to provide evidence that you have permission to do so, so you need to have the instructor sign the Waiver of Restrictions form and then bring it to the registrar's office where you will be registered. Waiver forms can only be used through the add/drop period, the first ten days of classes.

Can I enroll in the second semester of a yearlong course even though I did not take the first semester?

Students who feel they are qualified to enter a yearlong course at mid-year should speak with the instructor. If the instructor approves, students must petition the Administrative Board to add the course at mid-year. Please note: students who are beginning music performance courses in the spring semester need the department's permission only; petitioning is not necessary.

What about dropping yearlong courses? What happens if I do not enroll in the second semester of a yearlong course?

Students who do not complete the second half of a yearlong course will not receive credit for the first semester. The grade will remain on the record, but with no credit. Exceptions are by permission of the Administrative Board only. No exceptions are made to departmental policies that prohibit credit for the first semester only of an introductory language course.

The instructor said my name is on her or his class list, so why doesn't the course appear on my BannerWeb schedule?

Simply being on the instructor's list does not officially register you for the course. You must do that yourself on BannerWeb or by waiver form if you cannot register online. If it is beyond the add/drop period, you will need to submit a signed add/drop form or petition to add a course after the deadline.

Five College Registration

I submitted registration for three Five College courses, but I'm only registered in two. Why?

A student must enroll in at least 8 credits at Smith or no more than half of their credits off campus. Normally, students may not register for more than two courses at any one institution. Additional Five College requests will not be processed unless the credit minimum at Smith is met.

Do I need the instructor's signature to register for a Five College course?

When submitting your Five College request on BannerWeb, the receipt form will indicate if instructor permission is required. Instructor permission is always required at the beginning of the semester.
Once you submit the signed permission form to the Smith registrar's office, your registration will be processed.

Can I change the grading option in my Five College course?

Students declare an S/U or P/F (pass/fail) option at the host campus, following that college's procedures. You must follow the deadlines of the host campus. The Smith deadline applies to Smith courses only.

How do I know a Five College course will be accepted for credit?

Not all Five College courses are approved for credit toward the Smith degree. Normally only those courses falling within the scope of Smith's liberal arts curriculum will be approved.

Courses will be reviewed at the time the course request is submitted through BannerWeb. Prior approval can be obtained by submitting a course description or syllabus to the registrar's office for review.

Why didn't I get credit for the first semester of my Five College language course?

Credit is not normally given for a language course unless the equivalent of a full year is successfully completed. Students will receive credit for only one semester of a Five College introductory language if the comparable Smith language department allows credit for only one semester of their introductory language.

How do I register for a course at the University of Massachusetts Amherst during Interterm?

The summer and January terms at UMass are offered through the Continuing Education Program at UMass and are not part of the Five College Interchange program. Students must register through the Continuing Education Program and pay for the course credits. They must also have their credits approved by the class dean.

I'm requesting that my transcripts be sent to another school. Do I need to request one for my Five College courses from the other schools?

No, Smith is the school of record for your Five College courses. Your Five College courses and grades appear on your Smith transcript.

How many credits will I get for a Five College course?

Course credit is earned according to the value awarded by the host institution. Full-credit courses at Amherst and Hampshire Colleges are awarded the equivalent value of similar courses at Smith, normally 4 credits.

Effective Fall 2016 courses at UMass will be awarded the credit value assigned by that institution. For example, a UMass course bearing 3.00 credits will be recorded on the Smith transcript at 3.00 credits.

Transfer Credit

What grade do I need to earn in order to transfer a course to Smith?

The minimum passing grade is "C" or better.

Will a course taken pass/fail at another school transfer to Smith?

A pass grade may transfer if the minimum grade required to earn a passing grade is "C" or better.

I'm planning to take some courses at another school. How can I get them approved?

Once matriculated, all transfer courses completed while enrolled at Smith must be approved in advance of enrollment by a class dean. Information and forms can be found on the class deans' Web site.

Can my transfer courses count toward my major?

Only the appropriate academic departments at Smith may approve courses to satisfy major and minor requirements. Students wishing to use transfer courses toward major or minor requirements must obtain the approval of the appropriate department through their advisers or department chairs.

I transferred to Smith but I did not get credit for my Intro Spanish class. Why?

Many language departments at Smith require that students complete a full year of introductory language study before credit is awarded. You may earn retroactive credit for the course if you complete the second semester.

Some of my transfer courses were not accepted by Smith. Can I appeal?

Yes. If you haven't already done so, you may present course descriptions and/or syllabi to the registrar's office for review. However, you should first review our transfer credit policies, as there are certain types of courses for which Smith does not grant credit.

Will my transfer course grades appear on my Smith transcript?

With the exception of grades received for domestic exchange programs (i.e., The Twelve College Exchange) and study abroad, grades for work completed at other institutions do not appear on the Smith record. All grades for courses completed through the twelve college or other exchange programs and through Smith-approved study abroad will be recorded on the Smith transcript, but those grades will not be calculated in the Smith GPA. No transfer or exchange grades will be counted for Dean's List, First Group Scholars or toward the Latin Honors GPA.

How do I get credit for my speech class?

A maximum of 4 credits of speech may be accepted upon satisfactory review of the syllabus. Submit a copy of the syllabus to the registrar for evaluation.

How do I get credit for my independent study?

Independent study courses must be evaluated by the appropriate department here at Smith. You should present a copy of your work to the department chair and request that it be reviewed. If approved, the department chair should contact the registrar.

Can I get credit for a college course that I took in high school?

Yes, provided that the course did not count towards your high school diploma and it is an acceptable transfer course completed with a grade of B– or better. See our transfer credit policies for more information and procedures.

Why aren't my AP credits included in my total earned credit hours?

Advanced Placement and other prematriculation credits are not immediately applied to your degree totals. Such credits may only be used under certain circumstances: to make up a shortage of credit from a failure or medical drop, or to undertake an accelerated course program.