Contact Us
Catalogs & Schedules
Catalogs & Schedules
Examinations & Papers
Frequently Asked Questions
Request a Transcript or Enrollment Verification
Privacy of Records & Voter Registration
voter of Records & Voter Registration
For Entering Students
For Students Studying Away
For Seniors
For Faculty & Staff

Related Links

Five College Registration


Effective for Fall 2016 registration: courses at UMass will be awarded the credit value assigned by that institution. For example, a UMass course bearing 3.00 credits will be recorded on the Smith transcript at 3.00 credits.

For more information see Course Credits on the Guidelines page.


Applications to take a course through the Five College Interchange are processed electronically through BannerWeb. If you are interested in participating in the interchange follow, the procedures outlined below.

Check the Five College Calendar

Openings and closings of semesters on the five campuses vary, particularly in the spring semester and may overlap with the Smith Interterm. Students should make their academic and travel plans accordingly.

Five College bus service: For more information, students should consult the Five college website.

Steps for Registration

1. Review Smith Guidelines for Five College Registration

2. Review specific policies for Smith students taking courses elsewhere

3. Search for a course

Consult the Five College course guides to find a course at one of the other colleges. Please be aware that some courses may not be open to Five College students.

University of Massachusetts

4. Approval of Five College courses

Not all Five College courses are approved for credit toward the Smith degree. Courses will be reviewed by the registrar at the time the course request is submitted through BannerWeb.

We encourage requesting prior approval by submitting a course description or syllabus to the registrar's office for review. Normally only those courses falling within the scope of Smith's liberal arts curriculum will be approved.

Courses offered through UMass Continuing and Professional Education are not part of the Five College Interchange.

Students interested the Five College Supervised Independent Language Program (FCSILP) must obtain permission and should consult their Web site for instructions. Credit for level I courses is not awarded until completion of levels II or higher.

Please note: Some introductory language courses require completion of a full year (normally two semesters) before credit is granted. 

5. Obtain your adviser's approval

As with all your Smith courses, your adviser must also approve your registration in a Five College course. Five College requests are made through BannerWeb and require your registration code from your adviser.

6. Submit your request

Important: Be sure you are at a computer where you can print.

A link to the online Five College request form can be found at the bottom of the BannerWeb course registration page.

Please note: The submission of a Five College request requires the exchange of personal information with the other campus, including the student's social security number. All information is released to the host registrar only and is kept confidential as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

  1. Click the radio button for the school where you want to take a course
  2. Select the subject from the drop-down menu and click find course
  3. Select the course and submit your request
  4. Review request and submit Once your electronic course request has been received by the Smith registrar's office, it will be transmitted to the host institution for approval. If permission is required see below.
  5. Print receipt (see example below) and follow directions below about obtaining signatures if necessary. You will not be able to print your receipt later.
  6. Get Signatures If submitting a request during the add/drop period, permission is required either with a signature or an email from the instructor's school address, printed and attached to the form, and submitted to the registrar's office.
    Permission may be required during early registration.

Independent studies: A special studies form (signed by the instructor and appropriate Smith department chair) is required and must be submitted with the interchange registration form. Students should check with the host campus to fulfill any additional requirements for registration.

Grading Option: Smith will record the grade submitted by the host institution. If you intend to enroll in a Five College course under the S/U or P/F option, you must declare that option at the host campus by their deadlines.

For questions consult the FAQ for Five College Registration.