The Helen Hills Hills Chapel serves the functions of the religious and community service groups on campus to the extent that their scheduled activities are priority. The building may be reserved by additional members of the Smith College community when the space is not in use. Members are defined as: current students, alumna/i, current employees, and alumna/i of the Campus School and the Clarke School, Northampton. The family of a Smith College community member is eligible to reserve the space. Family members include: grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, siblings, and children.
Wedding ceremonies are scheduled at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturdays. We cannot accommodate Friday or Sunday weddings during the academic year. Rehearsal times are restricted to one hour at 4 p.m., 5 p.m., or 6 p.m. on the Friday evening before the ceremony. Your reservation begins 1/2 hour before the time of the ceremony and lasts for a total of 2 hours. As an example, if your wedding is scheduled for 2:00 p.m., your reservation is from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m., including photography sessions. There are no exceptions to these timeframes. Please be sure your photographer is aware of this time constraint in fairness to the custodial staff and the next bridal party.
To obtain information about use of the Chapel for a wedding or other events, please call Maureen Raucher in the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life at (413) 585-2754 during the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
In addition to the sanctuary, the Bodman Lounge and kitchen are available for meetings and receptions. Wine is the only alcoholic beverage allowed anywhere on the premises, and it is permitted only in the Bodman Lounge. Smoking is prohibited.
The cost for the use of the building for a wedding is $575.00 (this fee is waived only for currently enrolled Smith students). The fee includes a one-hour rehearsal, two hours for the wedding, and the services of a custodian for both the rehearsal and the wedding. The charge for the use of the Bodman Lounge and kitchen for a reception is $100.00.
Persons reserving the Chapel facility are responsible for making their own arrangements with clergy, an organist, or other musicians. Visiting clergy and musicians are always welcome. Please keep in mind the following:
- Only recognized clergy of established religious communities may conduct weddings in the sanctuary.
- Clergy who reside outside Massachusetts must meet legal requirements of the Commonwealth in order to conduct weddings within the state. Details may be obtained by calling the office of the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in Boston at (617) 727-7030.
- Current students and alumnae wishing to be married in the Roman Catholic tradition must comply with certain requirements of the Diocese of Springfield. For more information, please call the Diocese at (413) 732-3175.
- The College Organist, Grant Moss, who plays both organ and piano, is happy to participate at a wedding. He may be contacted at the Chapel (413) 585-2757, or at his home (413) 534-7730. Mr. Moss's fee is $250.00. Mr. Moss can provide names of local musicians and soloists as well.
- The matter of an honorarium for clergy is one that should be arranged directly with the participating clergy person.
- Seniors and alumnae of Smith College may hold wedding receptions at the Smith College Alumnae House by calling Piper Foreso in the events management office at (413) 585-2179.
- The Smith College Conference Center is available for receptions. Please call Addison MacDonald at (413) 585-6977 to discuss arrangements.
- Gardens on the campus may be used for photo taking. For information and availability, contact the Events Management Office at (413) 585-2162.
- The Helen Hills Hills Chapel is a Smith College facility. Occasionally, art exhibits and other projects are displayed throughout the building. These exhibits and projects cannot be changed or removed during wedding rehearsals or ceremonies.
For more information, please visit our spaces page