Families with Children ON Campus
The on-campus portion of the School for Social Work program can be quite demanding, making it difficult for parents to spend as much time as desired with their children. However, many parents have successfully completed the program and the School for Social Work makes every effort to help parents succeed.
Depending on the ages of the children and the configuration and unique circumstances of each family, the needs of student-parents can vary widely. Parents can expect to have limited time to spend with their children during the 10 rigorous weeks of summer classes, however there are some pluses for parents:
- SSW will attempt to accomodate scheduling needs of parents, with adequate advance notice.
- On-campus housing for families is available.
- Children (and spouses/partners/caregivers) are welcome to visit students for meals on campus.
- Children and other dependents of students can be enrolled in the student health insurance plan.
- Children aged 12 to 18 (and college students up to age 23) can enjoy many of the benefits of having a Smith College OneCard--from library access to gym and pool use (for children 16 and older).
- The Students with Children group at SSW offers support and kinship for parents.
- Information about local summer camps is compiled by Doreen Underdue. This inforamtion is available in the main office of Lilly Hall (room 101) or by contacting Doreen directly at (413) 585-5950 or email@example.com.
Need more information? View the additional pages in this section.