First Summer Registration
All first-summer courses are required and sectioned by the Office of Academic Support Services (OAS). First-summer (entering) students take five required courses, scheduled in eleven of the official class meeting blocks, per term (see below); note that there is a strong likelihood that at least one class will be scheduled in an evening block. Students will be expected to arrange personal commitments around this schedule.
By late April, OAS will send to entering students instructions and passwords for viewing schedules on BannerWeb. The school reserves the right to make changes to scheduled course offerings and meeting times.
Class Block Chart
Unshaded areas on the chart below represent official class meeting blocks for SSW summer academic terms. Monday evenings are reserved for the Summer Lecture Series.
Note that the Banner database system, which produces class meeting schedules and other information, uses "R" to designate "Thursday." Thus, for example, if you have a class that meets on Tues. and Thurs., the designation will be "T R."
|10:35 a.m.-12:25 p.m.|
Summer Term 1 Courses
- 101 Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families (Practice; 3 credits)
- 130 Theories of Individual Development (HBSE; 2 credits)
- 132 Family Theory for Clinical Social Work Practice (HBSE; 2 credits)
- 160 Introduction to Social Welfare Policy (Policy; 2 credits)
- 190 Group Theory and Practice (Practice/HBSE; 2 credits)
Summer Term 2 Courses
- 102 Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families (continued from 101; Practice; 3 credits)
- 131 Problems in Biopsychosocial Functioning (HBSE; 2 credits)
- 133 Sociocultural Concepts (HBSE; 2 credits)
- 161 Introduction to Social Welfare Policy (Policy; 2 credits)
- 191 Agency and Community Practice (HBSE/Policy/Practice; 2 credits)
Special Circumstances for Scheduling Required Courses
We understand that childcare, commuting, and part-time work can add stress to your very full academic schedule. If you have special circumstances that you would like us to consider while scheduling your required courses, please submit your request to the Office of Academic Support Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax, (413) 585-7994. The deadline is within two weeks of your acceptance to the School for Social Work. Using the MSW Special Scheduling Request form will help expedite your request.
Transferring and Waiving Courses
If you have completed course work elsewhere that closely aligns with the description of any of the above required courses and that has not already been transferred to your record, you may petition for transfer credit (see Master's Program Handbook, section 200.12).
Petition for transfer credit (Writable PDF when opened with Adobe Reader)
You may also petition to waive a course and replace it with an elective. Students should not attempt to transfer and waive the same course. If you are approved for transfer credit or waiver and are already registered, OAS staff will work with you to adjust your schedule.
Petition to Waive a Required Course (Writable PDF when opened with Adobe Reader)
Please note the April 1st deadlines on the forms. Your request has a better chance of being considered if you meet the deadline.