Meals on Wheels Volunteers
Meals on Wheels is part of a full set of services available to elders in this area, including such things as home health care, care management, money management, adult day programs, etc. Meals are delivered in 27 towns in the area, totaling about 650 meals per day. We are urgently seeking volunteer drivers in a number of locations. Elders are asked, but not required, to make a voluntary donation to help cover a portion of the meal cost. Programs do receive some state and federal funds but are stretched very thin.
- Typically take between 90 minutes and two hours per day
- Average 10 to 15 meals per day
- Usually five days per week, although this is flexible, especially when a group might get together and adopt a route together
- Sometimes walking routes are available (e.g. a senior housing facility)
- No tips or gratuities accepted
- Meal delivery is the role; drivers are not expected or allowed to perform other services for elder
- Use your own vehicle; some funds are available for mileage reimbursement when requested
If interested in volunteering, please contact Michael Stephens, Highland Valley Elder Services, at email@example.com.
Staff Day of Service
On April 18, 2014, Fabian Anazco (Development), Elaine Chittenden (Botanic Gardens), Shelly Cotnoir (Student Financial Services), Linda Gregory (Libraries), Saari Greylock (Provost's Office), Janice Henderson (Campus School), and Valerie Schumacher (Student Financial Services) volunteered at Nuestras Raíces in Holyoke for a Day of Public Service. This was the first Day of Service group trip organized by Staff Council, but more are planned in the future.
Jonathan Surrency, Volunteer Coordinator, and Tom Trepanier, Farm Site Manager, gave the group a tour of the farm and oversaw the work as they spent a chilly but rewarding spring day wielding shovels, hammers and pickaxes to dig trenches and put up the woodchuck-proof fence for a new set of community gardens, much to the woodchucks' annoyance!
Any staff member interested in participating or who has an idea of a local organization that might welcome a future Day of Service trip, is encouraged to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.