All students interested in studying abroad should seek advice and information about their options. The OIS recommends that students do the following:
- Meet with a Peer Adviser.
- Attend a General Information session held every Monday during the fall semester in the Lewis Global Studies Center at 4:00pm.
- Attend a program-specific information session (when available). See the OIS Home Page for details.
- Discuss their study abroad plans with their academic advisers and departmental study abroad advisers.
When are Peer Advisers available?
The OIS Peer Advisers are available during Open Hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:00-4:00pm. They are also available by appointment.
What can Peer Advisers do?
- Assist students with gathering information about their study abroad options.
- Offer advice about what to consider when selecting a study abroad program.
- Help students navigate the application and post-acceptance processes.
- Provide tips on how to prepare for studying abroad.
- Share their own experiences about studying abroad.
- Refer students to other resources as needed.
Meet the 2015-16 Peer Advisers
Idia Irele '16
Idia is double majoring in Government and Spanish. Last year Idia studied abroad in Madrid with Tufts-Skidmore in Spain for the entire academic year. Idia considers studying abroad to be the best thing she's done for herself as she became more fluent in Spanish, experienced a different university system, made great friends from all over the world, and gained a better idea of what she wants to pursue after finishing her studies. As a peer adviser Idia wants to support other Smithies so that they can also enjoy such a life changing experience. Idia truly believes that every Smithie should go abroad at some point during their time in college.
Maggie Johnson '16
Maggie is a Chemistry and French Studies double major and spent the 2014-15 Academic Year on the Smith in Paris program pursuing the Sciences à Paris option. Maggie's goal as a peer advisor is to encourage and guide Smith students to study abroad on a program that meets their academic and personal needs and looks forward to meeting with students.
Caity Szalay '16
Caity is majoring in psychology with a minor in education. During her junior year Caity studied abroad in Denmark for the full year. After having an amazing experience abroad Caity is excited to help other Smithies have the same experience. Studying abroad was one of the best decisions she has made while in college.