Smith-Approved Program Applications
Applying to study abroad on a program approved for Smith credit is a two-part process:
- You must have Smith approval for your study abroad plans
- You must be accepted by the program you wish to attend
To seek approval from Smith College, submit the Study Abroad Credit Application (PDF) to the Office for International Study.
When applying for Smith study abroad credit approval be sure to:
- Check study abroad eligibility requirements and deadlines
- Read the Study Abroad Guide (PDF)
- Research program options and decide on a maximum of two possibilities
- Confer with faculty advisers in your major
- Submit the Study Abroad Credit Application (PDF) to Smith's Office for International Study by the deadline
- Apply directly to the program(s) you wish to attend, well in advance of program deadlines
Program/Host University Applications
Students are responsible for the program application process. If you have any questions about the application or program, contact the program. Applications often include the following:
- Application form
- Personal statement
- Official transcript
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- "Institutional Approval Form" or "Study Abroad Adviser Approval Form." This form should be completed by Office for International Study staff, not a faculty adviser
- Application fee
February 1: Applications due for study on a Smith Program Abroad in Florence, Hamburg or Paris (full-year), and Geneva (full-year or fall only); and highly recommended for spring in Hamburg and Geneva.
February 15: Smith Study Abroad Credit Application due for study abroad on Smith Consortium and Smith-Approved study abroad programs during the following academic year (fall, spring or full-year).
Petitions for GPA, two locations and non-approved programs (for spring semester) petitions are also due.
March 20: Deadline for year-long and fall semester confirmation paperwork for Smith programs in Florence, Geneva, Hamburg and Paris.
April 15: Deadline for fall semester study abroad confirmation paperwork (included with approval letter) for Smith Consortium and Smith-approved study abroad programs.
May 1: Applications due for spring semester on the Smith Program Abroad in Geneva.
October 15: Applications due for select spring semester programs: ACC, PRESHCO, Puebla, BU Enginerring program in Israel (Study Abroad Credit Application); Smith Program Abroad in Hamburg (Smith Program Abroad Applications).
GPA Petitions for above programs are aslo due.
November 1: Deadline for spring semester study abroad confirmation paperwork (included with approval letter) for Smith Consortium and Smith-approved study abroad programs.
Petitions for nonapproved programs (fall and year-long) are also due.